DARK NIGHTS –
Long, long ago, except for the moon and the stars to rule the night (Gen.1:16), there were no other lamps available for man till he invented fire.
Man could see nothing in the night. Fire was not known to him (Who taught him how to make fire? Well, we will not discuss about that now). Later, he made fire and lit inflammable things to get light. Then, he found oil and oil lamps came up to give light. He could not afford to burn all his oil only for lighting. So, he kept his surroundings in darkness most of the time and awaited the God-given ‘Big Light’ to dawn every morning. The moon and the stars lit the night and also cast out shadows that scared man. Storm, thunder and heavy winds also scared him. Thus, during the eerie nights, he expected something strange to happen as he could not see what was happening around him.
THE LIGHT –
‘And God saw the light, that it was good. .’ (Gen. 1:4)
Night was perceived as a bad and scary time. Of course, the enemy, Satan, chose night to scare away man from God. He comes to plant his weeds in the night. (Mt.13:25)
‘God called the light Day and the darkness He called Night.'(Gen. 1:5). Today, our cities and towns and a large number of villages have electricity for lighting. There is no difference between day and night. Everything remains the same at night except for the absence of sunlight. The suntime + the moontime is called a complete day of 24 hours by man. All the busy-bees on the earth work 24 x 7, not even taking rest on the 7th day.
When such is the condition, is it not peculiar that some people expect God to move only in the nights. Many have this strange feeling that they can see visions only in the night and that too at midnight whereas some others think that Angels will move only in the morning.
ANGELS IN THE NIGHT –
In Pharoah’s Egypt, God sent the Angel of Death (the destroyer) to eliminate their firstborn such that every house felt the pain of losing the firstborn that night, beginning from the Pharoah down to the common man. It was necessary because God’s plan was to set Israel free the next morning. (Ex. 12:23-30)
Apostle Peter was taken out of jail by the Angel in the night. This was necessary to prevent his execution the next day. (Act.12:5-10).
THE DAY VISIONS –
1. God came to meet Adam and Eve in the cool of the Day (not in the night). (Gen. 3:8)
2. At the plains of Mamre, Abraham saw three people (interpreted as Father, Son and the Holy Ghost) coming to his home around lunchtime in the day. (Gen. 18:1-8)
3. Moses met God in the daytime at the burning bush. (Ex.3:2-4)
4. God’s Glory, a cloud filled the house of the Lord (Solomon’s temple) in the daytime while all others were watching. (I Kings 8:11)
5. Balam and his donkey also saw the Angel of God in the daytime. (Num.22:23 & 31)
6. Elijah was taken up in the chariot of fire in the daytime while Elisha was watching. (2Kings 2:10 – 12)
7. Mary saw Gabriel who broke the news about the birth of a child. It may have been in the day since Luke does not record that as night. (Lk. 1:28)
8. Mary Magdelene and the other Mary saw the Angel who sat on the rolled out stone at the sepulchre, early in the morning. (Mt. 28:2) Jesus met them all in daylight. (Mt. 28:9, 10)
9. Apostle Paul (Saul), heard the voice of Jesus in bright daylight when He called out “Saul, Saul,” on the way to Damuscus to persecute the Christians. Soldiers around him heard the sound. (Acts.9:3-7)
10. Peter had a vision in Joppa, at noontime, telling him to deliver the gospel to the Gentiles as well. (Acts. 10: 9-16)
11. Incidentally, Satan also took Jesus “up into a high mountain and showed Him all the kingdoms of the world in a moment of time.” (Lk. 4:5) It must have been in the daytime so He could see.
THE SECOND COMING –
Jesus said in Rev. 16:15, ‘Behold I come as a thief.’
This does not mean that He will come only in the night. We all know that when it is night in our part of the earth, it is day in the other half.
Therefore, unusual and unexpected things need not happen only in the night. There is no need for one to forgo his/her sleep in the night and come out in the morning with some strange and unconvincing stories.
May the Lord help such people to take rest like any other normal people instead of spending sleepless nights in the name of devotion. Some of them force others also to believe in such painful exercises.
Night is not bad and Day is not all that good either. Satan, the prince of darkness, need not act only in the night. He blinds your spiritul vision even in the day, preventing you from seeing God in spirit. Therefore, sleep well and be strong in physique and in spirit. Relax in the night made by God for man to rest. Be fresh in the mind to receive when God speaks. Wait for visions both in the night and in the day as well. Be ready for visions all the time, for God is good all the time!
‘Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight …’
Author – C. Samuel Gift (Bethel Seniors Fellowship, Bethel AG Church, Bengaluru)